Base Logo
Official U.S. Marine Corps Website
Crossroads of the Marine Corps
Photo Information

Civilians and members of the U.S. Armed Forces participate in the 39th Annual Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C., Oct. 27, 2014. Known as "The People's Marathon," the 26.2 mile race, rated the third largest marathon in the United States, drew 30,000 participants. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Staff Sgt. Ezekiel R. Kitandwe/Released)

Photo by Staff Sgt. Ezekiel R. Kitandwe

Quantico Marines play key MCM role

27 Oct 2014 | John Hollis Marine Corps Base Quantico

Marine Corps Base Quantico was well represented during Sunday’s 39th Annual Marine Corps Marathon and played a key role in the event’s success.


Quantico Marines and sailors were among the more than 2,100 service members who helped stage the event for the 30,000 registered runners braving the 26.2-mile trek through the nation’s capital before finishing at the footsteps of the Marine Corps War Memorial.


The Marines helped prepare things ready for the throng of runners and family members in attendance, as well as providing event security, help in the presentation of medals and much-needed water to runners during and after the race. Sailors from the Naval Health Clinic Quantico were among those providing medical care for those in need.


“It’s been a great experience,” said 2nd Lt. Michael Fineis, student, The Basic School following his first encounter with the MCM . “You can tell that everyone appreciates us being here. I’m glad to have been a part of it.”


Army Spec. Samuel Kosegei was the day’s overall winner, topping the field with a time of 2 hours, 22 minutes 12 seconds, while fellow soldier and first-time marathoner, Spec. Laban Sialo, was just behind him with a second-place finish of 2:23:48.


Army Capt. Meghan Curran, a former runner at West Point, turned in the best women’s time with a finish of 2:51:47.


But it was the Marines who made the day’s success possible.


Fineis was among the array of TBS lieutenants gracing the finish line area to congratulate runners as they crossed the finish line. He and his fellow officers had dutifully been on the scene since 3 a.m., enduring chilly night conditions on little sleep to lift heavy steel barricades into place for crowd control. The lieutenants further supported the race by helping in the presentation of medals.


But the Marines say they didn’t mind a little discomfort.


Cpl. John Miller, motor transport, Security Battalion, arrived in Arlington at 10 p.m. the night before the race and assumed his security post near the race finish line at 4:30 a.m.


“It’s been cold,” he said, “but it’s for a good cause.”



Marine Corps Base Quantico