The Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Branch (NREA) is sponsoring our 2nd Annual Earth Day photo competition for photos taken aboard MCBQ. The theme of Earth Day this year is “Watersheds.” A watershed has been defined as “that area of land within which all living things are inextricably linked by their common water course.” Here on Marine Corps Base Quantico (MCBQ), all the water that falls on the ground eventually runs into the Potomac River and from there into the Chesapeake Bay. MCBQ has over 59,000 acres of well-preserved beauty for you to test your skills as a photographer and win a prize (see last paragraph). Winning photographs may appear in the Quantico Sentry newspaper, Quantico Facebook, and be displayed at the NREA Branch office, Lejeune Hall, and in environmental posters. Contest-related use rights must be available to the Quantico Sentry, and NREA Branch.
CHANGES FROM LAST YEAR:
Last year the contest was for one month in the spring, beginning on Earth Day. This year, we would like to capture multiple seasons to showcase the natural beauty that we often take for granted aboard MCBQ. Also this year, to ensure that all photos get an equal opportunity for viewer favorites to be picked, all photos will be held until the close of the competition. All entries will be posted on April 8, 2014 for a two-week voting period. Winners will be announced on Earth Day, April 22, 2014.
- Scenic Landscapes
- Natural Gardens (wild plants)
- People Enjoying the Outdoors (recreation)
- Junior Photographers (ages 6 through 16)
HOW TO ENTER:
The contest is open to any photographer, amateur or professional.
1. Each photographer may enter three (3) digital images per category over the course of the contest. If you take a lot of photos or you’re not sure if it’s a winner, you might want to hold on to it until picture deadline to ensure your best three are submitted. Note that submissions will not be returned. PRINTS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
2. All images submitted must have been taken within the installation boundaries of MCBQ. The contest ends on April 7, 2014. Judging will remain open through April 21, 2014 and the winners will be announced on Earth Day, April 22, 2014.
3. Entries must be submitted via email to email@example.com or via twitter at @MCB_Quantico. All entries must be identified with your name, email address, and phone number. Each entry must be individually listed stating the category in which it is entered, a title and brief description with any details on how and where the image was taken. If possible, indicate camera type, make, model, lens, and settings used, to include ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. For submissions via twitter please include a description, the category and the hashtag #MCBQPicContest. Also for Twitter submissions twitter handles can replace email and phone numbers.
4. Digital images: Photograph images at the highest resolution possible and send the original JPEG, TIFF, or RAW file to the aforementioned email address or hashtag. Entries will be uploaded on Earth Day to the MCBQ Facebook page into an album titled “MCBQ Earth Day Photo Contest.” Each photo will be captioned with title, category, description, and photographer.
6. HOW WINNERS ARE PICKED. The winning photos will be determined by popular vote. At the end of the contest, the photo from each category with the highest number of comments, likes, and shares will be the winner. Each like and comment will be worth one point, each share will be worth two points.
5. Please remember that digital images that are grainy or show pixilation will likely be less favorably viewed. Manipulation of exposure, cropping, and minor color correction is acceptable. Do not crop too tightly. It is not acceptable to remove or add features to an image.
7. We prefer that all photographs taken of wild animals or plants be in the wild. Wild animals should not be captured for the sole purpose of photographs for this contest. Also, please make sure that all activities are performed in a safe manner (i.e., people wear lifejackets, blaze orange, eye and hearing protection). Do not put yourself, others, or any wildlife in danger in your efforts to capture that perfect photo.
8. Submissions must be entered by close of business April 7, 2014. The winning entry overall will appear in the Quantico Sentry and categorical winning entries may also be displayed in NREA office spaces.
The Photography Contest is offered as a way to bring greater appreciation to natural landscapes, plants and animals found at MCBQ. Winning photographs will be featured on environmental posters and exhibits. Winners will receive a voucher from MCCS for one of the following items: a game of golf, three rounds of bowling, lunch for two at the club, or popcorn and drinks at the base theater with the purchase of a movie ticket. Winners will also receive a 18 X 24 inch foam-board-mounted print of their winning photograph.